.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tulane Honors Program

Friday, January 13, 2006

Deja Vu All Over again!



Yesterday's convocation was one of the most moving ceremonies I have ever been to; certainly the most moving of academic ceremonies. Dr. White's Jazz band entered McAllister first playing in the slow dirge "When The Saints Come Marching In." After they were in they changed the beat for the second line and the song went on with a jubilant rhythm and clapping by all. I was the second in line after the band and we moved down the aisle smiling and clapping. Then, as Dr. Cowen came through the door, the place erupted in cheers and applause as everyone got to their feet. As Dr. Cowen stepped up onto the stage I could see him wiping tears from his face. Folks, as cheesy as this may seem, I do believe we have the best leader for Tulane at this time that we could possibly have hoped for. I am very proud that he is my President.

The ceremony then went on with the usual academic comments, statistics, and jokes. Dr. Cowen's speech was very good (although not as fluid as it would have been had he not stuck to the script :-). We then were led out by the band and Dr. Lefton, the Provost ("keeper of the prison") switched hats with the bass drum player. Very funny and I am sorry I don't have a picture of it! I did manage to get a few with my phone of the band playing outside.



So Welcome Back! And I am eager to see you all in the classroom and (most of all!) in Bruff!

1 Comments:

  • Exciting... too bad they got the accents wrong on deja

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home