.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tulane Honors Program

Thursday, September 08, 2005

No Additional Tuition Will Be Charged

President Cowen has issued another statement and has made it explicit that no student will pay more than the usual tuition for Fall 05. The relevant section (but read it all):
It has recently come to my attention that some of our students have been asked to pay tuition at their host institution. Let me be clear: No Tulane student will ultimately have to pay more than they would have if they were at Tulane for the fall semester. Therefore I have instructed university financial staff to make sure this issue is resolved in a fair and equitable manner as soon as possible once we have access to our student billing records and the manpower to review and resolve each situation. Just be patient because it will take several weeks before we are able to address these issues. In the meantime, any student who had to pay two tuition bills should contact twicepay@tulane.edu immediately and identify yourself as an affected student, giving us as much information as you can about your circumstances.

4 Comments:

  • The no additional cost thing works out great for kids that have access to schools "on the same level" as Tulane (Cornell, Rice, Duke, Princeton, ect). However, for those of us who only have access to state/community schools, it is really unfair. I will be paying Tulane prices for a Texas Tech education/experience. And to pay for my Tulane tuition, I have to take several thousand dollars worth of loans. If I was simply paying Tech tuition, I would be able to pay cash (only $1900). What's the point of taking out loans when I could just pay cash??? I feel that Tulane is holding me hostage with the tuition I've already paid to them (let us keep your money or lose your spot at Tulane). Also, President Cowen seems totally convinced that Tulane will reopen for Spring 06. Having seen pictures of Tulane campus, I do believe that campus could be repaired by January. However, having seen pictures of the entire New Orleans area, I don't see how in the world the city can be completely livable/functionable by January 1. So, what happens if Tulane is unable to hold a spring semester due to the conditions in the surrounding area? Will they want another semester's tuition revenue? Speaking of tuition revenue, what about the students' educational revenue? Shouldn't we be getting our money's worth in an education? Just a thought.

    By Anonymous FrustratedTulanian, at 9:29 PM  

  • I appreciate your comments. All I can say is please watch the Tulane site for regular updates to see if this is addressed more specifically. It is possible that you would be able to have this fall's Tulane tuition costs applied to the spring if you pay for TT on your own since Dr. Cowen said:
    1. What happens if I paid my fall bill, which includes tuition, room and board, and fees, and did not attend another university or college this semester?
    The amount paid will be credited to your spring bill.

    But I do not know this for a fact and as Dr. Cowen said yesterday the http://tulane.edu website is the only official sourceof Tulane information.

    At the least, you should email your comments and concern to twicepay@tulane.edu.

    By Blogger Cb, at 4:50 AM  

  • I totally agree. This is a big mess for Tulane. I am not sure what we will do at this point. I hope Mr Cowen makes his decisions carefully. He may be surprised at his enrollment in the spring.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:05 PM  

  • http://tulanerealitycheck.blogspot.com/



    This is BAD !!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home