.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tulane Honors Program

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Honors Professor of the Year


Dr. Justin Wolfe was named Honors Professor of the Year for 2004-2005. Dr. Wolfe was nominated by Claire Breedlove who said, in part:
As I look back on my four years at Tulane, Narrating Race and Nation was one of the most provocative classes I’ve taken, and Justin Wolfe is one of the most intelligent, thoughtful and caring professors I have ever known. I came to the course having just returned from studying abroad in Senegal, slightly disillusioned with what seemed at the time like incredible excess and privilege in the American academy, and, perhaps most problematic for the course, with absolutely no background in Latin American studies. Instead of telling me that his wasn’t a class about Africa, Prof. Wolfe listened patiently to my frustrations and gave me the critical, intellectual framework I needed to think through my questions about colonialism, development and race. He opened my eyes to the fascinating ways in which 19th century Latin Americans sought to redefine colonial conceptions of race and nation for themselves and carefully guided me through the complexities of 19th century Brazilian historiography. Prof. Wolfe then read my work carefully and critically, pushing me to improve my writing more than any other class I have taken at Tulane. ...

Students gravitate towards Prof. Wolfe because he is approachable and available, intellectually intense and uniquely committed to undergraduate teaching. A consummate professional, he is always thoroughly prepared, on-time and wholly committed to whatever he undertakes. Intellectually, I am lucky to have studied with him, and, personally, I am all the better for having known him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home