.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tulane Honors Program

Friday, February 04, 2005

German Boxing Legend Max Schmeling Dies at 99

The New York Times > AP > Sports > Other Sports > German Boxing Legend Max Schmeling Dies at 99

The bouts between Joe Louis and Schmeling epitomized the tensions between Germany and the US prior to WW2 and yet had little to do with the two men. Frankly, I had no idea Schmeling was still alive. This was all history well before I was born. One quote from the story and Schmeling:
"Looking back, I'm almost happy I lost that fight,'' Schmeling said in 1975. "Just imagine if I would have come back to Germany with a victory. I had nothing to do with the Nazis, but they would have given me a medal. After the war I might have been considered a war criminal.''

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home